Trilyte Colonoscopy Preparation
for Direct Access Colonoscopy Patients
Follow the instructions your doctor gives you exactly. Do not consume any solid foods three to four hours before you begin preparation.
Watch the video:
If your colonoscopy is scheduled late in the day, your doctor may have you begin bowel cleansing early that same day. Bowel cleansing should take approximately four to six hours.
Preparation: If Your Physician Has Instructed You To Complete The Preparation The Day Before Your Colonoscopy
In the morning:
- Choose one of the flavor packs and add it to the four-liter bottle.
- Shake well to adequately mix the flavor pack with powder.
- Add water up to the fill line.
- Shake well until the powder has dissolved.
- Add nothing else to the solution.
- Refrigerate until ready to drink. (keep the solution no more than 48 hours)
- If you are taking other medications, ask your doctor if you need to adjust your dosing schedule.
- Do not eat any solid food three to four hours before starting to drink the solution.
In the evening:
- Begin drinking the solution between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. Drink an eight-ounce glass of the solution every 10 minutes. It is recommended that you drink the whole glass rapidly, rather than sip small amounts.
- Keep drinking the solution until the bottle is empty or bowel movement is clear.
- Bowel movements should begin approximately one hour after the first glass of the solution. They will continue for some time after you finish drinking the last glass.
- Feelings of bloating, abdominal fullness, and nausea are common after the first few glasses of the solution. This is temporary and should subside.
- Do not eat any solid food. You may drink water or other clear liquids recommended by your physician.
The day of the colonoscopy:
- Do not eat any solid foods before the procedure.
- If you have any questions, talk to your doctor.
- Follow the instructions your doctor gives you exactly.
- TriLyte with flavor packs offers you a choice of five flavors. Choose the flavor that will make it most pleasant for you to consume the solution.
- Add nothing else to the solution-no ice, no flavoring, no sweetener-NOTHING AT ALL.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking other medications. You may need to adjust your dosing schedule.
- Do not consume any solid foods two to four hours before you begin your preparation.
- Bowel movements should begin about an hour after you drink the first glass. They will continue for some time after you finish the last glass.
- Feelings of bloating, abdominal fullness, and nausea are common. These feelings are temporary and should subside when you begin to have bowel movements.
- Chill it! Put the solution in the refrigerator until you are ready to start drinking it.
- Try chilling the glass too.
- Drink the whole glass quickly. Don't sip small amounts.
- Rinse your mouth with cool water between glasses.
- Drink the solution with a straw.
- Place some light reading material in the bathroom.
- Make sure you use soft toilet tissue or premoistened bathroom wipes to prevent soreness.
An important note: Be sure to follow your doctor's instructions. If they are different from the instructions on this website, talk to your doctor or healthcare professional. Whenever you have questions or concerns, your doctor is your best source of information.